Looking for a dessert that’s super easy to make and tastes really good? Wait until you try this coffee cake recipe!
I’m not big on making or eating desserts.
But when I do, this is one of my favorite recipes to make.
It’s really easy, takes very little time, and tastes SO DELICIOUS!
And it has an ingredient that you probably haven’t seen or used in a while.
But it makes all the difference in the flavor and texture.
Wait until you try this coffee cake recipe!
(Posts on stacyling.com may contain affiliate links. Click HERE for full disclosure.)
Why Is It Called Coffee Cake?
It is called coffee cake because it pairs well with a great cup of coffee of course!
While it does not have coffee in it, coffee cake is typically made with sugar and pound cake then topped with streusel.
What is Streusal Topping Made Of?
In general, streusel topping is made from a butter, flour, and sugar mixture.
However, it can also contain other ingredients like spices, oats, and/or nuts.
Coffee Cake vs. Crumb Cake
I have to admit that sometimes I call this recipe crumb cake.
And there’s not a huge difference between the two.
Except that crumb cake has a thicker layer of crumb topping.
While the coffee cake has a heavier cake thickness.
This coffee cake recipe can go either way.
It has a thick and fluffy cake consistency.
But you can make it heavier on the crumbs to make it more like a crumb cake too.
Just double the streusel part of the recipe.
Why I Love This Coffee Cake Recipe
Because this recipe for coffee cake is made with boxed cake, it’s super easy and quick to make because most of the ingredients are already there.
And the cake part of the recipe is really good too.
By incorporating dream whip in the cake mix, the batter is lighter and fluffier while retaining more moisture.
Have you ever noticed that some coffee cakes are dryer than others?
I’m not a fan of dry coffee cakes.
And this recipe is anything but dry!
The streusel topping is pretty easy to make too.
This coffee cake recipe calls for cold butter or margarine and I recommend following that versus room temperature or warm when making it.
I’ve found that the temperature of the butter or margarine affects the topping.
And the streusel sets better using cold margarine or butter.
Don’t get me wrong though.
You can use room temperature or warm butter or margarine if that’s what you have, but the streusel doesn’t set up as well when using cold.
Wait until you see how good this cake is!
The Best Coffee Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, Dream Whip, eggs, and water. Mix well.
- Pour into greased 9×12 pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, mix the rest of the ingredients (except confectioners sugar) until crumbly and refrigerate until the cake is done.
- Remove cake from oven when finished and top it evenly with crumb mixture.
- Then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Slice while still warm to avoid cracking.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar to garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Great Recipes You Need to Try!
- The Best Rumchata Cupcake Recipe
- The Ultimate Dip of Spinach Artichoke Recipe
- Bruschetta Tomatoes Recipe
- The Best Chicken Soup Homemade
- Refreshing Strawberry Lemonade
- Baked Shrimp Scampi
- How to Make Sunday Sauce with Meatballs Like a Pro
Pin and Save It For Later
Sign Me Up!
Sign up for my free newsletter to get blog posts, seasonal tips, recipes, and more delivered straight to your inbox!
Plus, get free VIP access to my Resource Library where you’ll find insider freebies not readily available to the public.
Thank you so much for following along.
Enjoy a beautiful day! xo